Sheep casings also come in 22- 24mm Pretubed size.
Sheep casings are the softest and most tender among all the other types of natural casings. Their elasticity makes them quite malleable to expansion without splitting.
Sheep casings are all-natural, and so they do not need to be removed after cooking. They also have a natural taste and smell that does not interfere with the ingredients of your sausages.
Natural Sheep Casings 22 – 24mm Product Details:
- Ideal for breakfast sausage, small snack sticks, hot dogs, frankfurters
- 22 – 24mm (7/8 – 1) in length*
- Stuffing capacity: approx. 40 lbs.*
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Storing Unused Casings
Storing the casings properly is key if you want to reuse them. For more information, click here.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.