Our Natural Hog Casings 29-32mm are an edible casing. These casings are generally used for making Italian sausage, bratwursts and country breakfast sausage. The casings are sourced from Grade-A, North American hogs only and are whisker free.
One pound of meat will use approx. 2.5 feet of casing. The casings are packed in purified salt and have an indefinite shelf life when stored in the refrigerator. Flush and soak in tap water before using.
Natural Hog Casings 29-32mm Product Details:
- Sourced from Grade-A, North American hogs only and whisker free
- Ideal for making Italian sausage, bratwursts and country breakfast sausage
- Casings are bundled into “hanks” – approx 100 yards of casing (91 meters)
- Natural hog casings are 29-32mm (1 1/8 – 1 ¼) in length*
- Stuffing capacity per pack: approx 70 lb.
- 1 1/8 – 1 ¼ when stuffed- approx.
- We also offer a Pretubed Natural Hog Casing
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.