Natural Beef Bung 2 Pack is a 102-114mm natural sausage casing. Ideal for large-diameter sausages like Mortadella, Bologna, Salami or Coppas. Beef bung is non-edible.
What Is Natural Beef Bung
Beef Bung (also known as Beef or Ox Caps) is the cow appendix. Beef Bung is used for large caliber sausages such as mortadella, bologna, salami or coppas. Natural beef bung has a distinctly traditional look and texture.
Natural Beef Bung 102-114mm Product Details:
- Pack contains 2 beef bungs
- Ideal for large-diameter sausages like Mortadella, Bologna, Salami or Coppas
- 102 – 114mm (4 – 4 ½) approx length per strand
- Stuffing capacity: 10 -12 lbs*
- Includes one beef bung per container
- Also available in a 1 beef bung container size
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.