Sicilian Salsiccia Condita
Sicilian Salsiccia Condita (Fresh Seasoned Sausage). Salsiccia means sausage and Condita means seasoned.
A typical Sicilian sausage that includes pork, cheese, chopped tomatoes, escarole, fennel and white wine. It is a unique and delicious dish that goes well with a good fresh sandwich or a fresh salad.
- 1000 grams Pork shoulder
- 20 grams Sea salt
- 4 grams Black pepper
- 1 gram Crushed red pepper
- 100 grams Finely chopped escarole
- 100 grams Roma tomatoes, seeded, drained & chopped
- 100 grams 1/4 cubed sharp provolone cheese
- 4 grams Fennel seeds
- 50 milliliters Dry white wine
Soak fennel seeds in white wine until soft. Approx 30- 45 min.
- Combine ingredients.
- Grind meat mixture through a 3/8″ plate. Place mixture in refrigerator to chill for min. of 30 min.
- Prepare the 32-35 natural hog casings.
- Stuff into hog casings making 10 cm (4”) long links or leave in a continuous coil
- Prick casing to remove air bubbles
After stuffing, the sausage is either immediately cooked and consumed or held in refrigerator for up to 7 days and then cooked. For longer storage the sausage must be frozen.
Cook gently on medium low in a pan with 1 half glass of wine and a tablespoon of olive oil with lid on until liquid evaporates, remove lid and flip sausages until internal temp reaches 152F.