Pretubed Natural Hog Casings 38-42mm are the easiest and fastest way to stuff sausage with natural casings. Conveniently packed in salt, the plastic sleeves easily slide on the stuffing tubes. After soaking them with the plastic still on, simply slide one end over your stuffing tube and pull the plastic off the other end.
The casings are sourced from Grade-A, North American hogs only and are whisker free.
What Are Pretubed Casings
Pretubed casings come already strung on individual plastic sleeves. Since the casings are already individually separated, they are a lot easier to slide onto the stuffing tube. The casings are packed in purified salt and have an indefinite shelf life when stored in the refrigerator. Flush and soak in tap water before using.
Pretubed Natural Hog Casings 38 – 42mm Product Details:
- Sourced from Grade-A, North American hogs only and are whisker free.
- Ideal for making Polish sausage, summer sausage, ring bologna, liverwurst and dry cured pepperoni
- Casings are 38 – 42mm (1 ½ – 1 ¾) in length*
- Stuffing capacity per pack: approx. 60 lb.
- We also offer a Natural Hog Casing 38 – 42mm
Preparing Natural Casings – Do not remove plastic
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.