Natural Hog Middles 55-60mm are large diameter casings. Not Edible. Hog middles are easily recognizable by their curly appearance. These delicate casings can be used for N’duja, Soppressata di Calabrese, Blood Sausages, some Liverwurst, and other salumi.
Hog middles have a naturally occurring strong aroma. During the soaking process, add lemon halves or white vinegar to your bowl of tap water and a tablespoon of baking soda. This will help tame the aroma.
Be gentle when stuffing, as the casing walls are fragile and may burst a but more easily than other natural casings. Hog middles are not completely de-fatted, it is normal for them to contain fat along the interior lining.
Natural Hog Middles 55-60mm Product Details
- Middles are not edible
- large diameter casings
- Sourced from Grade-A, North American hogs only
- Used for N’duja, Soppressata di Calabrese, Blood Sausages, some Liverwurst, and other salumi.
- These casings are sold in bags containing 5 pieces (7 feet each)
- 55 – 60mm (2 1/8 -2 3/8) in length*
- 2 ¼ (55-60mm) when stuffed – approx.*
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.