Natural Casings Variety Home Pack comes with hog, sheep and beef casings. Home Packs are more inconsistent when it comes to length when compared to our butcher-packs of casings. These casings vary in size and lengths.
Hog Home Packs:
- Hog packs are edible
- Hog casings are are sourced from high-quality, Grade-A, North American hogs only, whisker-free
- Size: 32-38mm (1 ¼ – 1 ½)
- Makes between 20 – 30 lbs. sausage (depending on links/rope size)*
Sheep Home Packs:
- Sheep packs are edible
- Size: between 20-30mm (¾ – 1 ¹/8)*
- Makes appro 15 lbs of sausage*
Beef Home Packs:
- Beef packs are NOT EDIBLE
- Size: 50 – 60mm ( 2 – 2 3/8) Composed of 3-6 middles of varying lengths*
- Makes about 30 lbs. of sausage*
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add 1/2 tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.