Natural Beef Rounds 40-43mm are a natural sausage casing. Ideal for fresh, cooked or smoked sausage such as Salami, Ring Bologna, Kiszka (Polish Blood Sausage), Blood Sausage, Sucuk and Hurka. These casings are non-edible.
The casings are packed in purified salt and have an indefinite shelf life when stored in the refrigerator.
Beef casings tend to be more dense and unpleasant to chew. They are typically pealed after cooking and for that reason are considered non-edible. Casings should be flushed inside and out with cold water, rinsed thoroughly and soaked in water overnight.
Natural Beef Rounds 40-43mm Product Details:
- Ideal for fresh, cooked or smoked sausage such as Ring Bologna, Kiszka (Polish Blood Sausage), Blood Sausage, Sucuk and Hurka
- 40-43mm in length*
- Stuffing capacity per hank: approx. 80-82 lbs.*
- Recommended seasonings: Ring Bologna or Trail Bologna
Preparing Natural Casings
- Remove approximate amount you will need.
- Place casings in a clean food safe bowl.
- Rinse casings of salt under cool running water.
- Flush insides of casings to assist in smooth casing application.
- For small casings (<42mm): place bowl in cool water to soak for about 2 hours in refrigerator prior to use.
- For larger casings (>42mm): place bowl of beef bung, middles and/or rounds in refrigerator to soak overnight prior to use.
- Optional for smell control – add ½ tsp baking soda per cup of water.
- Optional for tenderizing – squeeze a lemon or a add a tablespoon of white vinegar to soaking water to refresh casings.
The natural casings should be kept refrigerated until ready for use. Un-refrigerated, these salted casings may give off a strong odor. This is Normal. Simply put the casings back into the refrigerator and the odor will subside. Natural casings should never be frozen. It affects their integrity after thawing and will cause more blowouts.
Natural casings cannot be shipped outside the United States. All natural casings are non-refundable and non-returnable.
Natural Casings 101
Click here for more information on what type of natural casing to use.
*Casing capacity depends on meat/fill density, size/lengths of links or loops and how tightly casings being filled.