This salt melts easily and contains no iodine. Iodine will kill the lactic bacteria in the aging process and it is the lactic bacteria that is important to the proper aging of cheese.
What we are looking for in “Cheese Salt” is one that will not dissolve too quickly or slowly.
If a fine grain salt is used it will dissolve very quickly creating a very high brine content near the curd surface and impede the movement of salt into the cheese. If too coarse a grain it will dissolve too slowly and not control the culture bacteria activity. A moderate crystal size is what we have sourced for our cheese salt here.
- 8 oz. Non-iodized Cheese Salt
- Used to help flavor production, preservation and brining of your cheese
- Directions for use will vary from recipe to recipe
- Store in a cool dry place
- Will last indefinitely if stored properly
NOTE: This product is purchased Certified Kosher OU in bulk. The product is then repackaged into smaller quantities without Kosher supervision, thus voiding the Kosher certification.