Black Cheese Wax is especially made for coating cheeses. It helps prevent unwanted mold growth while retaining moisture in the aging cheese. This wax is pliable and will not become brittle as will pure paraffin wax. A formulation of paraffin and microcrystalline wax, food grade coloring.
One pound will wax approximately 12-20 cheeses when brushed on.
- It is safest to melt wax in a double boiler so that it is not subject to direct flame
- Never leave melting wax unattended
- Wax can explode at high temperatures
- Heat wax to 120°F
- Wax can be brushed onto a dried and chilled cheese with a natural bristle brush (anything synthetic will melt)
- Two thin coats are preferable to one thick coat
- Be sure to fill up any air spaces as mold needs air to grow
- When you are ready to eat your cheese, the wax is simply peeled off and can be strained through Butter Muslin to be reused over and over again.
Storage for Black Cheese Wax
- Store in cool place, away from any high heat
- Will keep indefinitely